[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] naming conventions

Rob.Hooft@embl-heidelberg.de Rob.Hooft@embl-heidelberg.de
Wed, 14 Aug 1996 19:56:39 +0200 (MET DST)

 JH> Float16 will not be suported.  Float32 and Float64 are the only
 JH> sizes of float that I know are supported natively on
 JH> architectures that I'm familiar with.  I would guess that
 JH> Float128 will work on Crays (and others?)

I think the system where the size of the object is given as an integer
is much better than this concatenation trick. With this new scheme
you need more identifiers for less flexibility. What if I want Float48?
alpha1 would accept it, and give me Float64 instead. How do you want to
solve this now? Furthermore it is now more difficult to choose the
size at runtime.

Furthermore: If I have a Cray-python program that I load on my SGI,
I'd like to get an exception for the Float128, not a compiler error.

?

Rob.
--
=== Rob.Hooft@EMBL-Heidelberg.DE   http://www.Sander.EMBL-Heidelberg.DE/rob/ ==