[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] arange(with one integer parameter)

Rob.Hooft@embl-heidelberg.de Rob.Hooft@embl-heidelberg.de
Sun, 18 Aug 1996 18:23:11 +0200 (MET DST)

I had yet another look at the sieve script. With the help of Jim's
time() calls, I saw that a lot of time was spent in the statement
"arange(max)". Looking at the definition this is not surprising: the
code is so general that the easy cases like this suffer immensely.

On my machine,

     add.accumulate(1+zeros([1000000]))-1

(4 operations on the whole array, but I think the most efficient we
can do at this moment since these are implemented in C) is two times
faster than

     arange(1000000)

Maybe arange, or this special case of arange with one parameter,
deserve to be implemented in C? This form is called quite often, even
in Numeric.py!

Rob.
--
=== Rob.Hooft@EMBL-Heidelberg.DE   http://www.Sander.EMBL-Heidelberg.DE/rob/ ==