[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Final conventions for alpha2

Konrad HINSEN hinsenk@ere.umontreal.ca
Mon, 19 Aug 1996 12:32:28 -0400

> On Sun, 18 Aug 1996, Jim Hugunin wrote:
>
> > Carlos Fonseca wrote:
> >
> > > ix=argsort(a)
> > > A=take(a,ix)
> > > B=take(b,ix)
> > >
> > > This should be enough.
> >
> > You have a good point here, but I think that the issue is you want a
> > different function from Konrad.  Alright, writing functions is something
> > I can do.  What would you like it to be called?
>
> How do you feel about index(a,indices,axis). Alternatively, select(...)
> would also make sense, I think. Thanks for looking into this.

Before we add functions that differ only in details, let's consider
the APL approach to this kind of problem: concatenate the two arrays,
sort the result, and split them again. How efficient would that
be in Python? It mostly depends on the concatenation (which APL
implementations treat with special care because it is extremely
frequently used).

Konrad.

Konrad Hinsen                     | E-Mail: hinsenk@ere.umontreal.ca
Departement de chimie             | Tel.: +1-514-343-6111 ext. 3953
Universite de Montreal            | Fax:  +1-514-343-7586
C.P. 6128, succ. Centre-Ville     | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/Nederlands/
Montreal (QC) H3C 3J7             | Francais (phase experimentale)