[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Some thoughts on default axes.

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Thu, 22 Aug 1996 20:27:20 +0100

Jim Hugunin wrote:

> I really don't think that a complete set of both function should be
> provided.  The great value in this proposal is it lets me define the
> "proper" default axis for each function without fear of people not being
> able to remember which one that is.

That supposes that the naming convention is easier to remember than
the default axis, which is not obvious to me. I can imagine people
wondering whether the correct function is fft or fft_.

> If the names of these functions somehow made their categories obvious,
> then I'd be happy to set the default axis for the nonstructural
> operations to be -1.

I can't think of a naming scheme that would work like that.

Konrad.

Konrad Hinsen                          | E-Mail: hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Laboratoire de Dynamique Moleculaire   | Tel.: +33-76.88.99.28
Institut de Biologie Structurale       | Fax:  +33-76.88.54.94
41, Ave. des Martyrs                   | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/
38027 Grenoble Cedex 1, France         | Nederlands/Francais