[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Some thoughts on default axes.

Jim Hugunin hugunin@mit.edu
Thu, 22 Aug 1996 15:01:25 -0400

Konrad Hinsen wrote:

> Jim Hugunin wrote:
> >
> > Konrad Hinsen wrote:

> > > That supposes that the naming convention is easier to remember than
> > > the default axis, which is not obvious to me. I can imagine people
> > > wondering whether the correct function is fft or fft_.
> >
> > I'd argue here that if you can remember that fft operates on the -1
> > axis, you can remember that all functions that operate by default on the
> > -1 axis have an underscore after them (which by the way is not a naming
> > convention I find reasonable).
>
> I agree, but such a naming convention is useful if it is *easier*
> to remember, not just as easy.

This I disagree with.  The advantage of the naming convention (provided
one can be discovered) is that you get an error if you remember
incorrectly rather than getting a strange array back.  This to me is
REALLY important.

-Jim