[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Some thoughts on default axes.

tim@lassi.ece.uiuc.edu tim@lassi.ece.uiuc.edu
Thu, 22 Aug 1996 14:41:04 -0500

Following up on my last post: after thinking about it some more, I'm
beginning to like the parts of speech convention for structural
vs. non-strucural ops better (but implemented differently). So I'll
throw out a proposal for your dismemberment....

________________________________

Proposal: All structural operation names will be present tense verbs
(e.g., run, walk, skip; not walked, tree, overThere). The names of
sort, and argSort will be changed to sorted and argSorted since sort
is both a verb and a noun.

________________________________

This leads to:

structural: concatenate, reduce, take, repeat, choose, reduce,
accumulate, reduceAt, compress

non-structural: sorted, argSorted, diagonal, trace, dot, sum, product, cumSum,
cumProduct, allTrue, someTrue, fft

________________________________

Things that don't agree with the current defaults.

diagonal, trace: These are diagonals, not axes. However, I would argue
	that the current default is wrong; the default should be the
	last diagonal, not the first. So, this does make sense.

sum, product, cumSum, cumProduct: I think these would make sense with
	a default of -1, instead of zero. (As I think Jim alluded to
	in an earlier post...)

allTrue, someTrue: ????

I was going to write more, but I think I'll throw this into the ring
now since there seems to be some interest.

--
	-tim

| Tim Hochberg               Ultrahigh Speed Digital Electronics Lab |
| tim@lassi.ece.uiuc.edu              University of Illinois         |
| http://dogbert.ece.uiuc.edu/~tim         (217) 333-6014            |