[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Just checking in

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Thu, 29 Aug 96 16:18:33 +0100

> However, if I read the "ld" man page right for HP-UX, the "+b" option
> should let you specify a list of directories to search for shared
> libraries at run-time.  It may be that this information only gets used

Right, but unless all systems have such a feature, we should
better not rely on it.

> when building the main executable, in which case you can specify a
> SHLIB_PATH environment variable pointing to the directory containing
> libNumPy.sl (see the +s option).

I don't like using such global variables. I definitely would not
like to install and maintain two packages that both manipulate
this environment variable! Just imagine wanting to install
two different versions of Python (say, 1.4 and 1.5 ;-) on the
same system.

> variable trick seems okay.  (Note that in 1.4b3 you can use
> os.putenv() to modify the real environment of the current process, so
> you could even hide this in a wrapper written in Python!)

That sounds a lot more attractive to me.

Konrad.
Konrad Hinsen                          | E-Mail: hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Laboratoire de Dynamique Moleculaire   | Tel.: +33-76.88.99.28
Institut de Biologie Structurale       | Fax:  +33-76.88.54.94
41, Ave. des Martyrs                   | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/
38027 Grenoble Cedex 1, France         | Nederlands/Francais