[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Default Axes revisited

Jim Hugunin hugunin@mit.edu
Fri, 30 Aug 1996 16:20:16 -0400

I'm been thinking a lot about all the responses (both public and private)
I've gotten on the default axis issue.  I have a new proposal for a naming
convention (I think Tim already proposed something very similar to this,
but...)

As Konrad rightly suggested at the beginning:

Structural Operations have a default axis of 0
Numeric/Computational Operations have a default axis of -1

However, because I don't think it's always obvious what's a structural and
what's a numeric operation, all numeric operations will have a "_" after
their name.

So we have:

take, concatenate, ...
argmax_, sort_, argsort_, fft_, ...

I will also probably define functions of the form:

def argmax(x,y=None):
	raise AttributeError, "argmax is a Numeric function, use argmax_"

in order to help out complete newbie's.

Is everybody reasonably happy with this? - Jim