[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Default Axes revisited

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Sat, 31 Aug 96 09:31:04 +0100

> I will also probably define functions of the form:
>
> def argmax(x,y=None):
> 	raise AttributeError, "argmax is a Numeric function, use argmax_"

I don't think that this is a good idea. People who write argmax()
would get an exception anyway, although with a somewhat less
clear explanation. On the other hand, those who use dir() to check
out available functions (or those who use a yet-to-be-written
function browser) would be lead to believe that there actually
*is* a function argmax. If you want to help newbies, put a
explanatory sentence in boldface after every paragraph in the
documentation...

> Is everybody reasonably happy with this? - Jim

Otherwise, yes. I am not terribly excited by the underscores,
but of all the proposals I have seen, they still look like the
smallest evil.

Konrad.
Konrad Hinsen                          | E-Mail: hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Laboratoire de Dynamique Moleculaire   | Tel.: +33-76.88.99.28
Institut de Biologie Structurale       | Fax:  +33-76.88.54.94
41, Ave. des Martyrs                   | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/
38027 Grenoble Cedex 1, France         | Nederlands/Francais