[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Routine too big...

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Mon, 16 Dec 1996 15:10:46 +0100

Folks,
I'm porting the 1.0a5 distribution of the numeric extension to the
Mac, and it all hobbles along nicely with one exception: the 68K
compiler doesn't like the routine zlarfx_ from zlapack_lite.c. The
routine is apparently bigger than 32Kbyte code, so the compiler cannot
generate branch instructions, and there appears to be no way to coerce
the compiler to try things differently.

Since the routine appears to have general code and special case code
for matrixes upto 10x10 I worked around this by commenting out the
special case code for the 9x9 and 10x10 cases (and the jumps leading
to them, of course, so they'll be handled by the general code). This
works, in the sense that the code now compiles.

However, knowing next-to-nothing of numerical programming I would like
to ask this forum whether my workaround is reasonable or not...

Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl      | ++++ if you agree copy these lines to your sig ++++
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm