[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Final matrix object renaming and packaging

Guido van Rossum guido@CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Tue, 16 Jan 1996 10:19:28 -0500

Looks good!

No comments here, except:

> 1) Konrad's numeric patches to the python core (incorporated into the
> working version of python by Guido) will be required and included with
> the distribution.  These will be the only patches to the python core
> required.

I changed one thing in Konrad's final patches: I took out support for
'i' and 'I' to indicate imaginary constants -- you have to use 'j' or
'J'.  I don't like to offer gratuitous choices (the lower/upper case
equivalency is a C legacy that I keep for consistency with other
Python numerical constants) and I expect that engineers will whine
bitterly if I chose 'i' while mathematicians will accept 'j' without
complaints...  (Note that unless you never read code written by
someone else, you must learn both alternatives if they are both
present in the language.  This is my reason for wanting to offer only
one option -- not the savings in instruction size or cycles.)

> 2) One C module that must be statically linked called "multiarraymodule.c"
>
> Having this particular module statically linked will eliminate the
> need for getting the CObject proposal working before release.

I do have a working version of CObject which you can use if you like.
It's up to you.

--Guido van Rossum <guido@CNRI.Reston.VA.US>