[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Compiling on HPUX with gcc

Chris Chase S1A chris.chase@jhuapl.edu
Mon, 29 Jan 1996 19:57:54 -0500

   From: David Redish <David_Redish@GS151.SP.CS.CMU.EDU>

<SNIP> stuff about embarassing error covered elsewhere <SNIP>

   However, I get a ld error when I try to load it saying unsatisfied
   symbol: "finite".

   Am I missing a file?

HPUX series 700/800 at Release 9 contain two versions of the math
library.  The precision architecture (PA) libm version 1.1 contains
the IEEE functions.  It is located in /lib/pa1.1.  By default gcc
links against version 1.0 (in /lib) whereas HPUX cc links against
version 1.1.

If you have the pa1.1 libraries then use the --with-libm=-L/lib/pa1.1
option to configure to get the pa1.1 version of libm when using gcc.
Using this I was able to compile successfully.  An aside:
/usr/lib/pa1.1 for the library path when using FORTRAN or PASCAL or
the vector library.  Of possible future interest, the vector library
on the HP series 700 systems is very fast and contains a number of
operations that Numeric module could use for many of its basic
operations.

Another note: I have been unable to get Python to compile with the HP
C compiler with or without ANSI mode.

Chris