[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Data analysis package question

Geoffrey Furnish furnish@laura.llnl.gov
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 19:43:45 -0800

Phil Austin writes:
 >     GF> The PLplot module supports output to a Tk graphics widget
 >     GF> (among a multitude of other output drivers), which can be
 >     GF> trivially integrated into Python/Tk, and we have that in
 >     GF> operation here at LLNL now.  There is also the beginnings of a
 >     GF> Python/Tk "megawidget" for the plframe graphics widget, which
 >     GF> provides a variety of conveniences for scientific plotting,
 >     GF> including saving to a any of a variety of supported graphics
 >     GF> formats (including postscript and ppm), as well as
 >     GF> manipulation of the plot orientation, printing the currently
 >     GF> visible view.  etc.  There is also a binding available for
 >     GF> zoom support, and "zoom frame list walking", with panning.
 >

 > This is great news.  One of my own projects will be positioning Python
 > as a Matlab replacement for the 7000 undergrads in our faculty of
 > science.  Being able to do graphics under Windows95 is a major
 > prerequisite for this.

I will have to back pedal a little.  The Tk plframe widget currently
uses the X11 drawing widget, which is not available on
other-than-unix.  There has, however, been a patch submitted for a
driver implemented only in terms of Tk library features, which is
cross platform.  This widget has not been fully integrated into PLplot
yet, however, and although I can say "it will happen", I cannot be
precise about timing.

--
Geoffrey Furnish		email: furnish@llnl.gov
LLNL X/ICF			phone: 510-424-4227	fax: 510-423-6172