[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Data analysis package question

Phil Austin phil@geog.ubc.ca
Fri, 1 Nov 1996 07:42:44 -0800 (PST)

    >> hist(array[array > 40. & array < 50.])

    KH> What is that supposed to mean for a 3-d array? Or even for
    KH> 2-d?

The default in Splus is to flatten the comparison when
it appears as the sole subscript.  If you want to work with individual
indexes, you'd add empty indexes as in python (although there're
no pseudo indexes in splus).

I wonder if anyone else on the list is familiar with Splus besides
David Ascher?  I've used it since 1982 (it was the instructional
language for Washington's grad stats courses), and its compact
indexing notation is unambiguous and very intuitive (to me).  Perhaps
I'll implement some of its features as Konrad suggests (possibly as
soon as my 2 year-old starts elementary school).

Phil