[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] graphics

Jeppe Sigbrandt jay@elec.gla.ac.uk
Fri, 11 Oct 1996 12:33:49 +0100

Hiya,

Am following Numerical Python development, but am not yet a user.
(i.e. have not yet found time to discover how to compile/install it)

Just curious about the plans to include graphics abilities into python,
and decided to ask here, since NumPy would seriously benefit from this.

Matlabs graphics abilities are about the best I've come across.
Octave is interfaced with GnuPlot, and though gnuplot is GPL, its no
panacea (I find it hard to control, and lacking in features)
Rlab reputedly uses something better than gnuplot, but I've
never tried or even seen it.  Must admit that it was the www pages on
LispStat (recently mentioned in the newsgroup) that prompted me to
finally send a message:
http://galen.med.virginia.edu/~sdm7g/XES/Docs/xesapp.html
Nice graphics :)

There must be some code in the public domain that can be quickly added
onto python for plotting.

Are there any plans or new developments ?

Regards,
jay