[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Ellipses -> Ellipsis

Guido van Rossum guido@CNRI.Reston.Va.US
Sun, 13 Oct 1996 19:49:41 -0400

As Ka-Ping Yee mentioned, "Ellipses" should have been "Ellipsis".

I'm making this change for the final 1.4 release (scheduled for Oct 25).
I plan to leave two backward compatibility measures in: Python code can
still use "Ellipses" as well as "Ellipsis", and C code can still use
Py_Ellipses (or whatever it was).

However, such backward compatibility measures tend to stop people from
actually fixing their code.  How much would the NumPy community be
inconvenienced if I simply removed all references to Ellipses?