[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Where to go (was Numerical Recipes)

janko hauser jhauser@ifm.uni-kiel.de
Sun, 20 Oct 1996 20:59:46 +0200

I have some questions regarding the future of Numpy.

Will the numerical extension become a huge package, or is it better to
build some more packages, wich need the numerical extension.

Is it always better, to take some routines in languages like Fortran
or C and build a python-extension, or should the routines build in
python. I think the last way is not so efficent but more flexibel and
the enduser can change some things directly in the code. This is not
so easy, if you have a mix of python and (C,Fortran).

How is Numpy mainly used? Allways as a programing language for large
scripts, or as tool to apply functions (or methods) to some data
arrays interactiv and to plot the results. (For me this is one
favorite point in using Numpy at the moment)

Is it possible to use OOP generaly? The longer I think about my own
little and special problems, the more possibilities I encounter. Each
view of the problem is very different. Perhaps I don't have the right
view at the moment :-).

How should the many evolving packages be documented? Are there any
plans to build a help system, perhaps something like the one in the
gist-extension?

At the moment I describe for myself the Numpy-system with:
"A simple to use OOP-scripting language with an extension like Matlab
but more powerful, because of the higher dimensionality, for example
and with the great advantage to extent it in every direction." (...more
hype in my thoughts)

But is this "Matlab-like"-approach the right view. I'm not sure.

What are the views of the other people in this mailing list?

Ok, enough, hopefully not too boring. He, it's sunday evening!!

__Janko