[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] package, ni, and Numeric

Jim Hugunin hugunin@mit.edu
Fri, 25 Oct 1996 17:29:25 -0400

> From: Jim Phillips <jim@ks.uiuc.edu>
> After Numeric's brief interlude with packages and ni, I have to agree
that ni
> is not ready for prime time.  At the very least, packages should be a
> mandatory extension to the import methods, not an extra import that
changes
> system functionality for everything.
>
> Anyway, I now notice that Numeric is fundamentally incompatible with ni
> because it usually resides in a subdirectory of a valid path with the
same
> name as the module.  Thus, when ni is imported, it attempts to import
Numeric

In the next release, the Numeric directory will be renamed to NumPy if
nobody has any objections.  I don't imagine that this could possibly cause
anybody any problems, and it will allow compatibility with "ni" using
modules.

-Jim