[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Data analysis package question

Jim Hugunin hugunin@mit.edu
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 12:58:18 -0500

> I have been exploring the possibilities of data analysis using
> Yorick and Python.

Just curious, where does Yorick fit in here?  For the GIST graphics?

> It would seem that one could construct a
> rather powerful, flexible package from the following tools:
>
> Python 1.4 or later?
> NumPY - Numerical Python extension 1.? - CRUNCH
> NetCDF - extension/with dependence on NumPy - I/O
> GIST - extension /with dependence on NumPY - GRAPHICS
> Tkinter - GUI (if one is so inclined)
>
> The only reason that I am hesitating to really get underway, is
> that at this point NumPy is a moving target. As seen above, NumPy
> is a critical path for all this to succeed.

NumPy1.0a5 is not much of a moving target anymore.  Furthermore, the C API
to NumPy hasn't changed (except for compatible extensions) since version
0.34.  This API is the crucial component to making these extensions work.

NumPy1.0a6 is due out this Friday (won't be any later than Monday).  It's
incompatible changes will be:

binarysearch renamed to search_sorted
diagonal function behavior changed slightly
dot function behavior changed for 2d and greater arrays

I would expect that the list of incompatible changes between a6 and beta1
will be about this long (if not shorter).  I intend to work reasonably hard
to avoid any incompatible changes after beta1.

So, after a year of telling people this is an experimental project where
everything is subject to change and you should use at your own risk, I
think I can finally say that I'm happy with this system and I don't plan on
any significant incompatible changes (well at least not until version 2.0
;-)  The major remaining task is to track down all the remaining bugs in
the system and start building those essential extension modules for
GIST/NetCDF/etc.

-Jim

PS - I see some significant possibilities for coordinated work on
developing modules for things like NetCDF, GIST, etc.  I'd strongly
encourage people who are working on supporting an extension module for a
reasonably popular package to announce their plans on this list, and work
to coordinate things with others who are interested in supporting the same
package.  Once beta1 is out, I'll add a page for extension modules both
completed and in progress to my Numeric Python web pages.