[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Default Axes revisited

Charles G Waldman cgw@pgt.com
Tue, 03 Sep 1996 11:26:07 -0400

Jim wrote:
> However, because I don't think it's always obvious what's a structural
and
> what's a numeric operation, all numeric operations will have a "_"
after
> their name.

Just to put in my $0.02:

I think that using names ending in underscores to distinguish structural
from numeric_ operations lacks elegance.

How about making another module, called Structural?

Then:

from Numeric import argsort
from Structural import concatenate

Use the already-existing Python notion of modules to make it clear which
operations are numeric and which are structural.  Don't introduce any new
and arbitrary convention about trailing underscores.

> I will also probably define functions of the form:
>
> def argmax(x,y=None):
> 	raise AttributeError, "argmax is a Numeric function, use argmax_"

I second Konrad's and Guido's comments that this is not a good idea!

| Charles G. Waldman        |
| Princeton Gamma-Tech, Inc.|
| cgw@pgt.com               |