[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] More naming/module issues

Perry A. Stoll pas@lems.brown.edu
Fri, 6 Sep 1996 13:07:11 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 6 Sep 1996, David Ascher wrote:

> > The names selected for modules,classes, and functions should be
> > spelled out in full for a general package called Numeric.
> >
> > 	Numeric.LinearAlgebra
> > 	Numeric.FourierTransform
> > 	Numeric.RandomNumbers
> >
> > I dropped the term Fast from FourierTransform because it seems obvious
> > that you would want to do it fast and I don't recall ever hearing
> > about anyone using something other than an FFT.  The nature of the
> > algorithm used could be incorporated into a docstring, rather than
> > encoded in the name.

FFT deserves it's own function name, perhaps in the SignalProcessing
module.  Try telling an engineer that the designers of PyNumeric decided
that the user has no control over which algorithm is used to implement the
discrete Fourier transform.

> I agree with the package idea, but I think that Konrad's point about
> signal processing is good as well.
>
> 	Numeric.SignalProcessing instead of Numeric.FourierTransform.

Is everything going to hang off the name Numeric?

Numeric.SignalProcessing.Transforms.Fourier.FFT()
Numeric.SignalProcessing.FilterDesign.Analog.Bessel.create_filter()
Numeric.PDE.Solvers.Upwind.FluxLimiter.Godunov()

It's consistent, but it may be a maze to navigate.

-Perry
 <pas@lems.brown.edu>