[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Re: More Package concerns

Ken Manheimer klm@CNRI.Reston.Va.US
Thu, 12 Sep 1996 11:52:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 11 Sep 1996, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> Perhaps you can suggest
>
> 	import ni, Numeric
>
> There may also be a way to have a file Numeric.py that bootstraps the
> whole thing into existence, which reduces the hack to one file that
> you provide.
>
> > Also, specifically to Guido, is the package feature something that you
> > expect to have built in to python in the future?  Can I expect the import
> > ni to go away any time soon?
>
> Not anytime soon -- it will stay imlemented in Python for a long time.

Guido, what do you think of integrating ni just a tiny bit, so the
standard __import__ mechanism resorts to ni for imports that include a
'.' or '__' in the module name?  This would slow down __import__
slightly, but i assume it would be fairly negligible, and would
eliminate something that might discourage people from building things
using packages...

(It also occurs to me to that we could have ni engaged at the point that
the regular import would raise an exception, thus having no performance
impact on successful imports.  However, i see that would be in
imp.find_module, which may not be the right place to make the other
connections, or we would have to catch the exception around find_module,
which would have some impact on successful conventional imports...)

Ken Manheimer		klm@cnri.reston.va.us	    703 620-8990 x268
	    (orporation for National Research |nitiatives

	# If you appreciate Python, consider joining the PSA! #
		  # <http://www.python.org/psa/>. #