[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Open Issues (packages, umath, ...)

David Ascher da@maigret.cog.brown.edu
Fri, 20 Sep 1996 12:07:04 -0400 (EDT)

> The way I envision this being used (and this is partially contingenent on
> package choices in the future, is as follows:
>
> import Numeric
> import fast_umath
> umath = fast_umath
>
> umath.log(1.0)
>
> ie. the math functions are moved to their own name-space and the access
> through Numeric is not used in general.
>
> Does this seem less cumbersome?

Yes and no.  I understand how to control which umath to use in my
modules, but how can I tell the LinearAlgebra package to use a different
umath than its default?  Or is that not deemed a good idea?

--david