[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] newbie question: accessing array elements

Kyle Schalm kschalm@geog.ubc.ca
Fri, 20 Sep 1996 11:27:10 -0700 (PDT)

I was wondering what C function gets called to return the array slices
when you type

>>> a[h:i, j:k]

(a is an array here). For plain old a[i:j] I assume __getslice__(self, i, j)
is called but for multiple slices I don't know. Also what would the type
of the argument(s) be? Similarly what function is called for assignments,
like

>>> a[h:i, j:k] = spam

thanks

Kyle

PS on a related note is there a Numerical C API tutorial or reference
out there? If not, is there any plan to have one? I would love to see
something like this :)