[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Re: Conversion

Andrew P. Mullhaupt amullhau@ix.netcom
Tue, 01 Apr 1997 21:01:52 -0500

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > You want to be able to extract the real and imaginary parts, and
> > good names for these functions are Re and Im.
>
> You write this as z.real, z.imag.

> but it would run much slower.  I am thinking to propose to make
> conjugate() a built-in function (it could return its argument
> unchanged for non-complex numbers).

I was assuming that making it a built-in was essentially agreed to
already.

> I was asking for arg(z), which currently does not exist.

You mean, does not exist as a built-in. It would be a good candidate for
that.

> Yes, too late.  I forced the matrix sig to choose between i and j and
> they chose j.  I guess that makes them the matrjx sjg.

It may well do. But this is sort of an internationalization issue. You
might want the decimal separator to be "." in the U. S. and "," in
Germany. Just like you want the chosen imaginary unit to be "i" on Earth
and perhaps "j" on some other, yet undiscovered, planet.

Later,
Andrew Mullhaupt