[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Numeric Python Beta 1 Released!

Jim Hugunin hugunin@mit.edu
Fri, 21 Feb 1997 15:02:41 -0500

I kept saying it was going to happen any day now...today's that day.

Check out http://www.sls.lcs.mit.edu/~jjh/numpy for the first beta release
of NumPy.  It includes a source distribution that will work under both
windows and unix, and an easy to install binary for Win NT/95.  Grab it,
install it, and let me know what you think (feel free to comment on the web
pages as well...).

Incompatible changes from the a6 release:
	binarysearch has been renamed to searchsorted

Things that still need work (and for which help is greatly appreciated!):
	MLab.py does not work in this release
	Unix installation instructions need work, more info for different OS's
	Bug fixes (all known bugs are squashed in this release...)
	David Ascher needs to update his tutorial ;-)
	Talk Jack Jansen into sharing his Macintosh port with me ;-)
	Extension modules need to be built
	Simple C extension example

Please send all bug reports directly to me (hugunin@mit.edu) and any
questions about the system to the matrix-sig.  I fear that I've lost many
of the comments sent to me over the last five months due to a period of
immense disorganization in my life.  I'm now much better set up to collect
bug reports and feature suggestions, so if I haven't addressed your
comments in this latest release, please send them to me again.

As usual, enjoy! - Jim