[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Strange problem importing Numeric

Andy Dustman andy@CCMSD.chem.uga.edu
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 14:56:49 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 23 Jan 1997, Konrad Hinsen wrote:

> You can avoid all problems related to libnumpy by using the first
> installation method (i.e. in the Python source code tree).

Except I am already using the first installation method.

> Without recompiling the interpreter, all you can do is to add
> the directory to PYTHONPATH. If you do use the other installation
> method, you can modify the default path by changing Modules/Setup.
> Change the line
>
> COREPYTHONPATH=$(DESTPATH)$(SITEPATH)$(TESTPATH)$(MACHDEPPATH)$(STDWINPATH)$(TKPATH)

> COREPYTHONPATH=$(DESTPATH)$(SITEPATH)$(TESTPATH)$(MACHDEPPATH)$(STDWINPATH)$(TKPATH)$(NUMPYPATH)
>
> and add the line
>
> NUMPYPATH=:$(DESTLIB)/NumPy
>
> anywhere below (most reasonably close to the NumPy module definitions).

This works, but there is another problem (and solution): for "make
install" to find the NumPy stuff, you have to edit the line where it says

LIBSUBDIRS=     stdwin tkinter test $(MACHDEPS)

and change it to

LIBSUBDIRS=     stdwin tkinter test $(MACHDEPS) NumPy

Then it correctly transfers those files. This is better, but I still get:

Python 1.4 (Oct 28 1996) [C]
>>> import sys
>>> sys.path
['', '', '/usr/local/lib/python1.4',
'/usr/local/lib/python1.4/sharedmodules', '', '/usr/local/lib/python1.4',
'/usr/local/lib/python1.4/test', '/usr/local/lib/python1.4/irix5',
'/usr/local/lib/python1.4/sharedmodules',
'/usr/local/lib/python1.4/NumPy']
>>> import Numeric
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/local/lib/python1.4/NumPy/Numeric.py", line 4, in ?
    import multiarray
ImportError: 26248:python: rld: Fatal Error: cannot map soname
'libnumpymodule.so' using any of the filenames
/usr/lib/libnumpymodule.so:/lib/libnumpymodule.so:/lib/cmplrs/cc/libnumpymodule.so:/usr/lib/cmplrs/cc/libnumpymodule.so:
-- either the file does not exist or the file is not mappable (with reason
indicated in previous msg)
>>> ^D
% ls -l /usr/local/lib/python1.4/sharedmodules/libnumpymodule.so
-r-xr-xr-x    1 root     sys       164700 Jan 23 12:23

--
Andy Dustman / Computational Center for Molecular Structure and Design / UGA
You can have my PGP public key by sending mail with subject "send file key".