[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] max/min bug?

Brien Barton barton@simsg1.mdc.com
Mon, 27 Jan 1997 14:43:38 -0800 (PST)

Is the following a bug or am I just confused??

~> python
Python 1.4 (Jan 24 1997) [C]
>>> from Numeric import *
>>> a = reshape(arange(9),(3,3))
>>> a
0 1 2
3 4 5
6 7 8
>>> min(a)
6 7 8
>>> max(a)
0 1 2

It seems that if a is a two-dimensional array, then min(a) returns the last
row and max(a) returns the first row.  I am using NumPy1.0a6 and I noticed
that the min and max functions aren't mentioned in the doc.html file so
maybe I shouldn't be using them.

Any ideas?

-- Brien

Brien Barton	ISSC Corp, c/o McDonnell Douglas Space & Defense Systems
		Huntington Beach, CA

     email: barton@simsg1.mdc.com, voice: (714)896-2249, fax:(714)896-5939

"My witty proclivities are nothing compared to my ludicrous ineptitudes."
	- Bob Hope