[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] reduce methods

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 11:08:36 +0100

> In the second case, we're finding the minimum value in each row, so the
> result I would expect is:
>
> 2
> 4
>
> In other words, I'd expect the axis that was "reduced" to change to a length
> of one instead of completely going away.  Modifying Janko's min function to

But this is not how reduction works in Python (the built-in function
"reduce") or in any of the array languages I know. It's also not what
I would expect from a plain-English description: for me, a "sum of
a list of numbers" is a number, not a list of length one.

Konrad.
Konrad Hinsen                          | E-Mail: hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Laboratoire de Dynamique Moleculaire   | Tel.: +33-4.76.88.99.28
Institut de Biologie Structurale       | Fax:  +33-4.76.88.54.94
41, av. des Martyrs                    | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/
38027 Grenoble Cedex 1, France         | Nederlands/Francais