[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] mean, add.reduce, and MLab.py

Jim Hugunin hugunin@mit.edu
Fri, 31 Jan 1997 14:00:43 -0500

1) MLab.py should not be considered part of NumPy.  It was mainly written
for me to explore how easily the functionality of matlab could be
accomplished with NumPy, not as something I expected people to generally
use.  There are a number of differences in conventions as to how axes are
treated in NumPy and matlab that makes this project in some ways a bad
idea.  There should however be a set of useful function like those provided
in MLab.py.  Unfortunately at the moment I'm more concerned with putting a
beta-release of the core system together than in designing this useful
functions module.

2) I don't understand people's complaints about the mean function at all.
 In fact, getting this to work right for multi-dimensional arrays was one
of the plethora of reasons that reduce uses axis 0 by default.

Could someone give me an example of how "x - add.reduce(x)/len(x)" doesn't
work as expected?  I'd argue that if this isn't the result you're looking
for, then you don't quite understand NumPy's model of an array (I could be
wrong...)

-Jim