[MATRIX-SIG] reverse of take?

Aaron Watters arw@dante.mh.lucent.com
Tue, 1 Jul 1997 15:32:39 -0400

>     a[i, j, k, hint=flavor_woo_woo_17]

I'm reeling about not following this discussion, but I suspect
the best approach is for Jim H. to "just do it".  I personally
begin to think that excess overloading of indexing is not
advisable, possibly confusing.  I vote for "take()" as is with dual
"put()" or whatever.  Of course, my experience with numeric
matrix tools such as these is infinitesimal, so my opinion
may be of limited merit.  If we can get by without asking Guido
to change the core, so much the better. -- Aaron Watters

ps: in case you haven't guessed I want "put" in order to be
  able to do graphical type operations in some generality
  using Numeric alone -- this is all that's missing from what
  I can see.  IE compute the indices of a 1d figure using
  umath operations and then use put() to draw on those
  indices into a Numeric array frame buffer.  This, plus a screen
  mapping operation and mouse interfaces
  of some kind could serve as the basis
  of an simple windowing/graphics system based in Python,
  I believe.  Of course it'd be nontrivial, but after a good
  start I think the Python community (via starship, maybe)
  could grow some neat stuff...
     fonts == arrays of bytes
     cropping == slicing
     colormap == choose