[MATRIX-SIG] A proposal (LONG) - "reverse of take" revisited

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Wed, 2 Jul 1997 20:26:56 +0200

> of indexing.  I didn't know that
>
>   ar[ array([1,2]) ]
>
> would work.  Since it does (without copying anything)

It does? Now I am a bit surprised...

> Where are the details of all the functionality of Numeric
> set out?  I have to say that it's a shame there isn't

In the code!  ;-)

> better documentation that I can find.  Sorry if I missed it

I agree, but until someone volunteers to do a better documentation,
we'll have to live with it. I learned much by experimentation, but
of course I use NumPy in almost everything I do...

> In particular things that aren't immediately obvious to
> me are the reference vs. copy semantics, how indexing/slicing
> works exactly, probably more I haven't run into yet.

Yes, that should be addressed in a tutorial!

> note: fancy indexing is fine if you experts think it
>   would be a Good Thing, but remember that Guido
>   does not change the syntax lightly, for good reason.

There will be no need to change the syntax!

Konrad.
Konrad Hinsen                          | E-Mail: hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Laboratoire de Dynamique Moleculaire   | Tel.: +33-4.76.88.99.28
Institut de Biologie Structurale       | Fax:  +33-4.76.88.54.94
41, av. des Martyrs                    | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/
38027 Grenoble Cedex 1, France         | Nederlands/Francais