[MATRIX-SIG] Much ado about nothingness.

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 11:21:04 +0200

> Has anybody looked at the Missing type from DigiCool ?  It has the desired

Noticed, but not looked at...

> behavior for arithmetic operations, but doesn't work correctly for math or
> umath functions.  I have no idea how hard this would be to get working, or even

Umath support is easy: just implement methods for each function. For any
unknown type, umath tries to translate the function into a method call, i.e.

  sin(x) --> x.sin()
  exp(x) --> x.exp()

Anyone implementing numerical types, in C extensions or as Python classes,
should provide this set of methods.
Konrad Hinsen                          | E-Mail: hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Laboratoire de Dynamique Moleculaire   | Tel.: +33-4.76.88.99.28
Institut de Biologie Structurale       | Fax:  +33-4.76.88.54.94
41, av. des Martyrs                    | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/
38027 Grenoble Cedex 1, France         | Nederlands/Francais