[MATRIX-SIG] [long] A NO-Proposal for a plot-package

David Ascher da@maigret.cog.brown.edu
Mon, 21 Jul 1997 12:33:13 -0400 (EDT)

Geoffrey Furnish writes:

> It seems to me that all this discussion about plotting is somewhat
> orthogonal to the issues involved with making a good matrix facility.
> Plotting is a natural client of a matrix facility, but is otherwise
> independent.  I don't see major issues in plotting which can
> reasonably be expected to strongly influence matrix design or
> implementation issues.
>
> I wonder if it might be more appropriate to initiate a plotting-sig,
> or a "scientific environment sig", or some such, and move the plotting
> discussion which is not specifically matrix-sig-design-influencing,
> off to said new sig.
>
> I am /not/ volunteering to be the sig owner, but I do think it would
> be better to segregate these discussions in that way.  Opinions?

Sure, seems like a fine idea.  I do wonder where some things like the
S-like data.frame project which has been bandied about fit in -- it ties
in to the Numeric array as a backend mostly, and it certainly fits within
the 'scientific environment' concept, but it shares some interest in
potential python changes with the numpy project, e.g. on the indexing
issue.  I guess I'd say we should dicuss that on the sci-sig, since it's
really not an issue for many NumPy users.  As long as the plotting folk
don't mind a bit of discussion that they might not find interesting.

On Konrad's call for implementation volunteers, I'd love to help but
committing my time in significant chunks for the next few months would be
foolish.  I could probably deal with owning a sig, but that's about it
given the other things on my plate.

Do we need to discuss this on the meta-sig, as for new sigs, or does this
count as a splinter group (faction? =))?

--da