[MATRIX-SIG] [long] A NO-Proposal for a plot-package

Andrew P. Mullhaupt amullhau@ix.netcom.com
Tue, 22 Jul 1997 00:07:40 -0400

At 11:42 PM 7/21/97 -0400, David Ascher wrote:
>On Mon, 21 Jul 1997, Andrew P. Mullhaupt wrote:
>
>> Maybe some kinds of plots are pretty hard to do without the array
>> objects.
>
>Definitely -- it's just that we can define those operations using NumPy
>arrays without having to modify the architecture of NumPy, hence it need
>not be discussed on the same SIG, or so I take Geoffrey's point.

If you read it that way, then fine.

>  But yes,
>NumPy should definitely be involved for contour plots, surface plots, 3d
>projections onto 2d, line-fitting & interpolation, etc.

Just about any plot with a large data object is either handing an image in
a special graphics format off to a special graphics function or else you
would prefer that that large object had some array operations.

>can-you-tell-i'm-unhappy-with-every-single-plotting-package-i've-tried-
>and-i've-tried-a-lot-ly yours,   --da

Can I have a witness? Amen, brother.

Later,
Andrew Mullhaupt