[MATRIX-SIG] [long] A NO-Proposal for a plot-package

Rob Hooft R.Hooft@EuroMail.com
Tue, 22 Jul 1997 10:02:36 +0200 (MET DST)

 DM> Hej, I've also been monitoring the plotting discussions and can't
 DM> quite grasp why the xmgr package has not been mentioned in this
 DM> context.

One extra problem: It doesn't only need X, it needs Motif.....

As everyone else, I have written my own plotting package. The only
thing is: this was before the era of scripting languages. And WAY
before the era of NumPy..... So it is written in portable Fortran-77.
And no user-interface: just one command line. And guess what?  It does
exactly what I want it to.... And all these features that all those
other people need are not in there.....

One thing I learned: do not write your own output. I can do a lot of
things with my plotting package because the output is generated in
Xfig code, and so there is an easy editor to change the detailed
lay-out of the plot. So although the lay-out choices of my plotting
program are very very basic, any user can make it into a super glossy
plot using xfig. And I didn't need to write all of the graphics
primitives for that!

I know nobody is interested in a plotting package like that.....

  http://www.sander.embl-heidelberg.de/extern/scatter/

Rob
--
=====       R.Hooft@EuroMail.com   http://www.Sander.EMBL-Heidelberg.DE/rob/ ==