[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] request for idioms

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Mon, 9 Jun 1997 13:53:43 +0200

> about in the three hours, I would appreciate input for one section in
> particular.  I would like to present common 'idioms' in NumPy, and my
> feeling is that those idioms are very field-specific.  I've developed a

I am not sure there are many field-specific idioms. Idioms depend
largely on what a given array represents, e.g. "a table of function
values" or "a 3d function on a grid" or whatever. The kind of data you
want to store in an array is of course somewhat field-specific, but
not that much.

>   * things you came up with which map well to constructs you were used
>     to from other systems (e.g. Matlab, S, etc.).

Probably most, since our arrays were designed with such systems as
a model. And there are books with idioms around, so maybe you should
use them as a starting point.

> Obviously, there's no rush on this.  If you can just keep this in mind and
> when you come up with something you'd like to share, send it my way.  I

OK, if I don't forget...
Konrad Hinsen                          | E-Mail: hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Laboratoire de Dynamique Moleculaire   | Tel.: +33-4.76.88.99.28
Institut de Biologie Structurale       | Fax:  +33-4.76.88.54.94
41, av. des Martyrs                    | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/
38027 Grenoble Cedex 1, France         | Nederlands/Francais