[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Incompatible change to dot (any objections?)

Jim Hugunin hugunin@mit.edu
Mon, 3 Mar 1997 13:48:40 -0500

Konrad Hinsen writes:
> I still think that it would be better to give Numeric.dot() the
> functionality of Numeric.matrixmultiply() and remove the latter (or
> keep it for compatibility, but not document it). There is no need for
> two functions, and many people will probably use dot() although what
> they need is matrixmultiply().

It's amazing to me that this has been an issue since the very beginning of
the matrix-sig.  The problem seems to be that I have much more training in
computer languages/systems than in linear algebra which gives me a slightly
different (warped?) perspective on things.

Anyway, I'm finally willing to go along with Konrad on this one.  I intend
to change dot in the next release to have the same functionality as
matrixmultiply currently does.  This will give those linear algebra folks
out there a nice easy way to multiply two matrices together "correctly".  I
will also expose the lower level function "innerproduct" that currently
behaves almost exactly like dot (no transposes involved).  I'd also like to
get rid of the function "matrixmultiply", though I'd be willing to keep it
around if people have concerns about backwards compatibility for their
code.

-Jim