[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Icon for NumPy?

Jim Hugunin hugunin@mit.edu
Tue, 4 Mar 1997 09:44:52 -0500

Janko writes:
> So, here is some action on the list, perhaps the right moment to
> propose the generation of an unique Icon or emblem for NumPy. My first
> and very obvious thought was that of number-crunching snake, perhaps
> one of this kind which is called a ...., eh you know :-)

I actually spent some time thinking about this while putting together the
web pages for the beta release.  My answer will probably reveal the depths
of my artistic inadequacies, but personally I rather enjoy the pun involved
(it might take you a moment to notice it).  Check out the icon at the top
of the Numeric Python page to see what I'm talking about
http://www.sls.lcs.mit.edu/~jjh/numpy/.

I'm certainly not going to argue that this is the perfect icon, and I'd be
thrilled to look at anything more artistic folks out there would care to
create.  One thing that I really like about this icon though is that there
is no snake in it.  With the covers on the two recent books it has become
easy to forget the origins of the name Python (from the FAQ):

"Apart from being a computer scientist, I'm also a fan of "Monty Python's
Flying Circus" (a BBC comedy series from the seventies, in the -- unlikely
-- case you didn't know). It occurred to me one day that I needed a name
that was short, unique, and slightly mysterious. And I happened to be
reading some scripts from the series at the time... So then I decided to
call my language Python. But Python is not a joke. And don't you associate
it with dangerous reptiles either! (If you need an icon, use an image of
the 16-ton weight from the TV series or of a can of SPAM :-) " - Python FAQ

-Jim

PS - Another note about designing NumPy icons.  There is no such thing as a
NumPy file or program, so there is no need to design something small enough
for this typical icon use.  The only use I've found for my icon has been on
the NumPy web pages.