[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] NASA Research Announcement - Astrophysic

Zachary_Roadhouse@brown.edu Zachary_Roadhouse@brown.edu
Fri, 07 Mar 1997 08:53:26 -0500 (EST)

This would be an incredible chance for Python to expand.  Python is now
the core of the computer vision work we do here at LEMS.  One of the
nastier problems is that Python plus all the various packages we use
(NumPy, PIL, opengl, vtk, and so on) is nasty to build.  It takes a
minimum of several hours to get a clean installation working -- even when
you know all the tricks.

We have been working on our environment for scientific work.  Our project,
call Raphael, is used to organize our work and provide a common GUI for
use various algorythms.  Interactive work is done using the integrated
editor/interpreter PTUI.

Interesting directions for this project might involve developing a better
Python dynamic environment for programming.  Extensions to this
environment would come in the form of plugins so that capabilities not
needed wouldn't be loaded in.  Matrix manipulation would of course be
central, and plugins would include graphing, surface visualization, volume
visualization...

Anyway, I have to go to class, just some ideas...

     - Zack

E-MAIL: Zachary_Roadhouse@brown.edu  WEB: http://althor.netspace.org/~zack/
Brown University, Box 220, Providence, RI 02912
Phone: (401) 863 - 5435