[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Helping with Std. Pkg

Jim Hugunin hugunin@mit.edu
Fri, 7 Mar 1997 11:40:47 -0500

Gordon Miller writes:
> I just read the request for assistance on standard packaging
> the numerical and plotting aspects of Python and would love to help
> out.  In my previous life, I worked at the Naval Research Lab doing
> research in upper atmospheric physics.  In doing this, we used
> IDL (Interactive Data Language) and PV-Wave.  As soon as I heard
> about python, I began using it for my own analysis work.  It has
> been about a year since I was at the Lab, but I am more than willing
> to lend whatever assistance I can to this project.

I would love to have somebody put some effort into making NumPy easily
installable on Unix platforms.  Since I've recently gone over to the dark
side (Windows NT), I have even less incentive to work on these issues than
usual.  I have produced (with Mark Hammond's help) a very easy to install
system for Windows NT and 95.  You download a program, run it, and select a
few options, like where you want NumPy to go.  From there all of the
details like environment variable settings get taken care of automagically.
 Making this happen in the Unix world is a bear.

I had really wanted to put together a set of binaries for most major
platforms myself, but I got really intimidated when I realized the number
of "major" platforms.

So, I can't offer any help, but anybody who wants to take this on has my
complete moral support.  I'd also be thrilled to add any easy to install
versions of NumPy to my web pages.

Hoping somebody else will solve this one - Jim