[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Plotting packages

Brien Barton barton@simsg1.mdc.com
Fri, 07 Mar 1997 13:13:10 -0800

Jim Hugunin wrote:

> Recent posts have started me thinking about plotting and NumPy again.

I think that well integrated plotting capability is crucial to the
success of NumPy.

> 4) PLPlot - The best option I've seen, the basic distribution even comes
> with a python module.  It's driver model also looks good, I could easily
> see adding Windows support.  On the other hand, installation is really a
> pain.

I did get an earlier version of PLPlot working with NumPy on an SGI
about a year ago but it seemed to have bugs.  About 2 months ago I tried
PLPlot version 961023 and couldn't get it to work at all.

> Am I missing any packages?

I recall someone mentioning that there was (or will be?) a C library
interface to the GNUPLOT package.  That sounded very promising to me,
since GNUPLOT works on most of the major operating systems (including
Windows) and also supports a large number of output devices.  Does
anyone know if this library exists?  Has anyone gotten it to work with
Python?