[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Numeric Python 1.0 Beta 2 is available

Jim Hugunin hugunin@mit.edu
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 16:41:12 -0500

This version has a number of little bug fixes (the most notable is probably
Konrad's improved INSTALL instructions).  It also uses a new repr and str
format for printing arrays.  Neither of these formats are exactly like the
previous ones, but I've found I really like the new versions.  UserArray
objects should also work much better this time around.

Incompatible Changes:
* dot now behaves like matrixmultiply used to
* diagonal and trace now work reasonably on arrays with more than 2d
* asarray and array are now much more picky about coercing their array
arguments.  If this causes people grief I'll consider relaxing this
restriction for array, but not for asarray.  The "correct" way to
arbitrarily coerce an array is to use the "astype" method.
* The underlying C function PyArray_FromObject and its variants are
similarly more strict about coercing their arguments.

It's at the usual site: http://www.sls.lcs.mit.edu/~jjh/numpy

I'm feeling really good about this distribution (except for the difficulty
of installation under Unix, which I don't have the time or energy to work
on).  If I don't hear about any serious bugs before this Friday I intend to
announce this to the main python list so we can get many more novice users
to really tickle the bugs in the system.  (I'm going to the CHI conference
for a week leaving on Saturday, so Friday seems like a particularly
Pythonesque date for me to announce this to the main list).

As usual, enjoy! - Jim