[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Re: Numeric Python 1.0 Beta 2 is available

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 14:52:20 +0100

> > If I don't hear about any serious bugs before this Friday I intend to
> > announce this to the main python list
>
> I'd like to suggest that a means to create a possibly uninitialized
> array of a given shape and type should be part of the basic
> functionality, rather than something people have to code in C
> themselves.

Me too! And it's not just for the benefit of C extensions. It
happens frequently that I want to create an array and fill it
with known data, but different from just ones or zeros. As it is,
I have to initialize it to zero first and then change the values.
With large arrays (-> swapping) this makes a difference.

Konrad.
Konrad Hinsen                          | E-Mail: hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Laboratoire de Dynamique Moleculaire   | Tel.: +33-4.76.88.99.28
Institut de Biologie Structurale       | Fax:  +33-4.76.88.54.94
41, av. des Martyrs                    | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/
38027 Grenoble Cedex 1, France         | Nederlands/Francais