[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Numeric Python 1.0 Beta 2 is available

Geoffrey Furnish furnish@laura.llnl.gov
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 07:53:46 -0800

Konrad Hinsen writes:
 > > I'm feeling really good about this distribution (except for the
 > > difficulty of installation under Unix, which I don't have the
 > > time or energy to work on).  If I don't hear about any serious
 > > bugs before this Friday I intend to
 >
 > One possibility would be to have an alternative distribution
 > consisting of patches to the Python 1.4 distribution. Not as
 > elegant as a separate extension, but I suppose most users would
 > give preference to simplicity!

In my opinion, the problem is not specific to NumPy, but is rather a
general shortcoming of python's build paradigm on unix.  I would much
prefer to see Setup expunged in favor of configure --with-xxx options,
which would be more in the spirit of autoconf and would make it much
easier to setup a python with various precompiled extensions linked
in, or made into shared libs.  The drawback of this is that someone
has to revamp configure, and we all know the flamage which acrues to
him who expends effort in that area...

--
Geoffrey Furnish		email: furnish@llnl.gov
LLNL X/ICF			phone: 510-424-4227	fax: 510-423-0925