[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Numeric Python 1.0 Beta 2 is available

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 17:45:15 +0100

>  > One possibility would be to have an alternative distribution
>  > consisting of patches to the Python 1.4 distribution. Not as
>  > elegant as a separate extension, but I suppose most users would
>  > give preference to simplicity!
>
> In my opinion, the problem is not specific to NumPy, but is rather a
> general shortcoming of python's build paradigm on unix.  I would much
> prefer to see Setup expunged in favor of configure --with-xxx options,
> which would be more in the spirit of autoconf and would make it much
> easier to setup a python with various precompiled extensions linked
> in, or made into shared libs.  The drawback of this is that someone

Something like that ought to be done some day, although I am not sure
that autoconf is the way to go (I have no experience with it at all,
but the people I know who do use it seem to be a bit frustrated.)
Anyway, it probably won't happen any time soon.

Another, maybe easier, solution would be to have a better generic
Makefile for extensions, with some provision for installation.
But that won't happen soon either.

Part of the problem is that NumPy installs its Python modules in a
special subdirectory of the Python standard library. Although I like
this feature, it is not strictly necessary (the subdirectory does
not provide a separater "namespace"), and it causes a significant
part of the installation trouble. Should we perhaps drop it for now?
Konrad Hinsen                          | E-Mail: hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Laboratoire de Dynamique Moleculaire   | Tel.: +33-4.76.88.99.28
Institut de Biologie Structurale       | Fax:  +33-4.76.88.54.94
41, av. des Martyrs                    | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/
38027 Grenoble Cedex 1, France         | Nederlands/Francais