[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Numeric Python 1.0 Beta 2 is available

David Ascher da@maigret.cog.brown.edu
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 12:16:27 -0500 (EST)

> Part of the problem is that NumPy installs its Python modules in a
> special subdirectory of the Python standard library. Although I like
> this feature, it is not strictly necessary (the subdirectory does
> not provide a separater "namespace"), and it causes a significant
> part of the installation trouble. Should we perhaps drop it for now?

I've found that all I need to do is to add NumPy to the main Makefile's
LIBSUBDIRS variable, follow the instructions in NumPy/INSTALL, and it
works fine.  What are the other problems?

One alternative inspired from the Linux kernel config world is a GUI
configuration management (which could know about all the dependencies,
etc.).  There's a slight bootstrap problem, but it works ok on Linux w/ a
kernel, so...