[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Newbie: transpose

Jim Hugunin hugunin@mit.edu
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 11:26:13 -0500

> > Excuse me if the following has been discussed extensively (if so, could
> > somebody point me to the relevant archive messages?): To me
> > transpose() seems to act counter-intuitive:

<Chopped out explanation of how transpose does work.>

> I hope this helps.  One big issue when learning Numeric is that it is not
> MATLAB -- in other words, because it is designed to deal with arrays of
> arbitrary rank (and not just 2D matrices), some of the assumptions which
> make sense in a linear algebra context don't transfer all that well.  The
> other issue I've had is to learn to assimilate what choose, where, etc.
> all do and not mix them up.  That comes with practice.

This is exactly what I wanted to say, but I'd like to add one point.  There
is a very small module called Matrix.py which attempts to wrap up one of
these multidimensional array objects as something that behaves much more
like a linear-algebra matrix.  At the moment it's functionality is minimal,
to say the least ;-).  I would be thrilled to take improvements to this
module (i.e. adding a transpose method which behaves as you have
suggested).

-Jim