[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Numeric Extensions to Python Available for Public Beta Test

Jim Hugunin hugunin@mit.edu
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 16:34:13 -0500

What is Numeric Python?

The Numeric Extensions to Python (NumPy) add powerful multi-dimensional
array objects to the wonderful general purpose programming language Python.
These new objects give Python the number crunching power of numeric
languages like Matlab and IDL while maintaining all of the advantages of
the general-purpose programming language Python.

A little history...

There's been a project going on within one of Python's wonderful Special
Interest Groups to develop a set of extensions to support "Numerical"
programming within Python.  This project began in September, 1995.  After
about 17 releases of pre-alpha and alpha versions of the system within the
community of the matrix-sig, I have finally decided that the system is
sufficiently stable for "prime-time".

If you are interested in more information (including downloads of the
system) check out http://www.sls.lcs.mit.edu/~jjh/numpy.

Enjoy! - Jim Hugunin - hugunin@mit.edu

PS - The installation process is trivial under Windows NT/95 thanks mainly
to Mark Hammond's work on that platform.  Installation under Unix is a bit
of a headache, but this seem to be a general problem for extension modules.
 Any patches or code to improve this process are welcome.

PPS - In the grand Python tradition I will be away all next week at the CHI
conference in Atlanta, Georgia.  So, comments are welcome but don't expect
any replies until April 1.