[MATRIX-SIG] Changing shelve...

Janko Hauser jhauser@ifm.uni-kiel.de
Sat, 4 Oct 1997 11:23:45 +0200 (CEST)

As far as I understand pickle is rather slow, not very memory
conserving and at the end not portable between different
applications. Wouldn't it be good to have a simple routine to save raw
Numpy-arrays in a portable (machine and application) way.

I think I can build something like that on top of the netcdf
module. The main drawback of this data format is that it is not easy
to append to a file. But I don't know if HDF is more flexible in this
regard. PDB from llnl can this but other applications can't read this
without extensions.

Besides, also pickle can't append, right?

By the way, thanks Konrad for the inclusion of negativ indexing in the
netcdfmodule. Are there any other new features?

__Janko